Sunday, May 8, 2011

Web 2.0 tools for 1-2 students

As I was reading and viewing the information for this week's focus on creativity, collaboration and graphic organizers I found myself reflecting on the excitement and enthusiasm my daughter used to have for websites such as Webkins and Club Penguin. She is thirteen now and she would cringe if I mentioned it in front of her, she does occasionally still visit and play the games on Club Penguin. 
So what is is about these websites and others in this genre that attract kids and keep them coming back?
Is it possible to create a educational experience for my students using constructed comments, structured interactions and of course a childlike and creative environment?
For my 1-2 students,  I believe blogging and collaboration tools that older students use are beyond their capabilities. In first grade many students are just learning to read and write. Using structured comments and of course lots of audio support could make it easier for my young students to communicate electronically. Another tool that would be wonderful would be a speech to text option. I am not a programmer so to try to create this environment myself would be a stretch indeed. Fablevision seems to be a company with a wonderfully creative and childlike vision. I appreciate their focus on literacy and the arts.
So my next question is to what purpose would I want my 1-2 students engaging in experiences like the ones mentioned above?
If the answer is to create more collaboration and creativity than shouldn't I be providing those experiences in the classroom? I am still a little foggy on why these tools are important for K-2 students. I can see how engaging students beyond the school day would be a practical and purposeful application for web 2.0 tools. This is an area that I do want to investigate further. I definitely need to continue to broaden my understanding of what electronic collaboration and creativity will look like and sound like for my students in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment